Markstein, a creative communications agency, seeks a seasoned PR professional to join our growing team as a senior manager and serve our diverse mix of public and private sector clients.
As a senior manager, you will work with a dynamic and experienced team on complex public affairs campaigns to build support around critical issues while navigating high-stakes situations and evolving environments. You also will support our issues and reputation management practice though crisis planning and strategy development, real-time crisis response and ongoing issues management for corporate and public crises.
A successful candidate will bring proven expertise, sound judgement and an ability to understand complex public issues and corporate/legal matters. You will excel at building and maintaining client relationships. You will be passionate about growing business.
We live our values daily – our team is open minded, purposeful and engaging in everything we do.
We fiercely support our team – discover more about our company culture on our Instagram page.
We work hard and WIN – learn how, as a senior manager, you’ll help unlock opportunity for Markstein’s clients.
- Lead or support grassroots and grasstops campaign development, integrating agency capabilities in digital media, paid media, brand management, public and media relations, and creative
- Lead or support crisis scenario planning, issues preparedness/risk mitigation planning, media training, crisis simulations, active crisis response, and brand recovery initiatives
- Stay ahead of news items by anticipating issues before or as they arise in mass media
- Apply expertise in internal and external communications to support strategy development and implementation
- Demonstrate excellent writing when crafting internal and client correspondence, communications plans, press materials, new business proposals, etc.
- Display strong presentation and client relationships skills
- Set achievable goals and tasks and consistently measure goal progress and achievement; recommend and use research and analytics as key performance indicators
- Lead by example and demonstrate strong work ethic, mastery of PR tactics and excellent interpersonal skills
- Commit to continuous learning and building technical and leadership skills through ongoing professional development and training
- Stay up to date on emerging technologies and trends; demonstrate understanding of how they integrate into marketing communications strategies
- Cultivate new business opportunities for the agency
- Seamlessly implement Markstein’s various processes, protocols, and capabilities
- Track and monitor project financials (e.g., budget vs. actual)
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with Markstein’s values
- At least 8 – 10 years of relevant experience in communications or public relations, preferably in a state government or agency setting
- A minimum of 5 years of public affairs and/or crisis communications experience, preferably in a state government or agency setting
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university
- Familiarity with public relations and/or communications best practices, tools, and tactics
- Ability to manage large projects and understand clients’ business goals and objectives
- Ability to provide counsel and act as daily client contact for multiple clients simultaneously
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Possess superior written and verbal communication skills
- Exhibit superior attention to detail
- Ability to multitask, manage assignments and evaluate work products to ensure highest levels of quality
- Proven aptitude in triaging and prioritizing work, and managing competing deadlines
- Proven track record of successful client management, including budget management
- Ability to hold self and team accountable for behavior and performance
- Willingness to work unpredictable/demanding hours, episodically, in times of crisis
- Experience working with legal teams, both in-house and outside counsel
- Experience working with investigative journalists
- Ability to work as a self-starter with limited supervision
- An entrepreneurial spirit, can-do attitude, and strong desire to collaborate with subject matter experts across Markstein’s practice areas
- Ability to provide internal and external leadership, make sound judgements, and know when to seek senior counsel
- Ability to handle sensitive issues, negotiate and solve complex client problems
- Demonstrates poise and confidence in high-stakes situations with senior-level executives
- Currently offering a hybrid working environment (work from home or office as needed)
- Competitive compensation package
- Health, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Short- and long-term disability insurance plans
- Company-sponsored 401K
- 30 days of paid vacation, regardless of seniority or tenure
- An additional day off in your birthday month
- Summer Fridays
- 10 days of paid sick leave
- On-call week between Christmas and New Year’s Eve
- Virtual and in-person social events
- Company retreats
Exceptional candidates from geographies outside of our office footprint will be considered. This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Markstein prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Markstein conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.